3/01/2006

Ears like a dog

So I'm driving home from a class last night with my wife, doing 60 mph on the expressway and carrying on a conversation about the topic of the night's class, when I hear this clicking sound. "What's that sound?"

She shrugs. "I don't hear anything."

I check the keys. They're swaying as they dangle from the ignition, but not banging into anything. "Is it your watch?"

She holds her watch up to her ear. "No. I don't hear anything."

I hold my wrist up to my ear to check my watch. It's clicking away the seconds. "Must be mine." And we went on with our conversation.

A few seconds later, the clicking is still bugging me because it doesn't sound like it's coming from my side of the vehicle. I grabbed her arm. She stopped talking in mid-sentence while I held it up to my ear. "It's definitely your watch."

I've awakened before to the sound of my own watch, clicking away a few inches from my face in the silence of the night. Who can hear a wristwatch from three feet away while carrying on a conversation in an automobile at expressway speeds? Just doesn't seem normal.

Tag:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You've stumbled upon your superpower! Or maybe I shouldn't send this comment, but step outside my door and whisper it... you're bound to hear it 3/4 of a mile away. :-)